Photographed spring 2005

page 2/4


In the 14th century the Counts of Flandres built the "Prinsenhof" castle in Bruges.

One century later it became the home of the dukes of Burgundy who ruled over parts of France, Flandres, the Netherlands and Luxemburg.

After a hunting accident, on March 27 1482, the Duchess Mary of Burgundy died in her room (with the flower-door knob) at age 25.

Flandres and Burgundy were transferred to the Habsburg family, creating an even larger empire including Austria, Spain and even colonies in America.


During its long history, portions of the Prinsenhof have been demolished and rebuilt. Most of what remains today dates back to 1888.






















history repeats itself

Return to the Photo Tube